kkenfield
Level 1

PTPs & QBI - An individual receives K-1s from 10 PTPs for 2018. In Box 20AD, some K-1s have income and some have losses. Lacerte is currently netting all the income and losses together to arrive at qualified PTP income or loss for purposes of the worksheet (line 28) that supports the Form 1040, line 9 QBI deduction. Some of the losses are disallowed due to Sec. 469 limitation and are excluded from the individual's taxable income for 2018. The disallowed losses should not be included in QBI income for 2018 per Reg. Sec. 1.199A-3(c)(3) and Publication 535. Additionally, Lacerte does not track the $10,000 loss as a carryforward to a future year.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
This sounds like a possible program issue for @IntuitAlicia or @Intuit Austin

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
kkenfield
Level 1
Thanks for your input. I have logged an enhancement request.
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
@George4Tacks @kkenfield @Intuit Austin I'll take a look at this and see what I can find.  I'll need to review how it's working and how the program is set up to handle this and post an update here.
0 Cheers
CBCOCPA
Level 2
What is the current status of this enhancement request?  Is it fixed in the 2019 release?
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee

I was able to duplicate this treatment and it appears the PTPs with losses are not limited.  I've reported this unexpected behavior to our developers for further review.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
CBCOCPA
Level 2
What is the current status of this enhancement request?  Is it fixed in the 2019 release?
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@IntuitBettyJo is our new contact for updating things like this.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
CBCOCPA
Level 2

Any updates on this issue?  Has it been fixed in the 2019 release?

0 Cheers
jerrieelyse
Level 2

I am working on a 2019 trust return in Lacerte.  The program is properly not including any disallowed passive losses from PTP's in QBI, but is incorrectly including disallowed  losses from NON PTP partnerships in QBI.

0 Cheers
jerrieelyse
Level 2

I am currently working on a 2019 trust return in Lacerte. The program is correctly not including any passive losses disallowed from PTP's in QBI, but incorrectly including disallowed passive losses from NON PTP partnerships in QBI.  When do you expect this might be fixed in the program??

0 Cheers
jerrieelyse
Level 2

I am correcting my previous post.  The 2019 program (trust return) is incorrectly including disallowed passive losses in QBI for BOTH PTP's and other partnerships.  I had to manually calculate and override the QBI input for all the Schedule K-1's that had disallowed passive losses.  What a pain!!  This really needs to be resolved.......

CBCOCPA
Level 2

This is a major problem in the Fiduciary module and needs to be resolved as soon as possible.  Is @IntuitBettyJo the right contact to review and resolve this issue.

0 Cheers
CBCOCPA
Level 2

@IntuitBettyJo  please see Reg. 1.199A-3(c)(3)(ii)  for the requirement that the PTP income/loss is included or allowed in determining taxable income for the taxable year.  Thanks in advance for looking into this...

0 Cheers
jerrieelyse
Level 2

That is the issue we are trying to bring to your attention that Lacerte is not calculating correctly.   If the PTP loss is disallowed for regular tax purposes, the loss should NOT be included in QBI.

CBCOCPA
Level 2

Lacerte is not calculating QBI correctly in the Fiduciary module.  Reg. 1.199A-3(c)(3)(ii) requires that PTP income/loss be included or allowed in determining taxable income for the taxable year before it is included in QBI.  Lacerte is incorrectly including ALL passive losses from PTPs in QBI and not limiting it to the portion included in taxable income for the year.  Please give this a priority review.  It appears to be a major error in calculation.

jerrieelyse
Level 2

Has this issue been resolved or do we have some indication of when it might be??

0 Cheers