amarefan1
Level 2

Hey everyone,

I've been using Proseries for about 5 years and have lately been thinking about switching to Lacerte. Although I'm very accustomed to Proseries and think it is a very solid product, I do not like how there is no option to enter a basis worksheet with Schedule K-1's to track basis limitation carryovers. I've also been using the Lacerte demo and the diagnostics seem to be way better. I also really love the classic and simple look of the forms view in Lacerte. 

As a way of background, I have about 400 clients - approximated 350 individual returns and 50 business. The business returns are mostly CA S-corps but I also have some LLC's. Most are pretty straight forward, but I've got a handful of mutlistate returns and part-year residence returns. I have heard Lacerte is also much better at handling multistate, and I hope to move my practice in the direction of doing more complex returns.

I'm not so much worried about getting used to the different style of input as I am the cost. It looks like Lacerte would cost me about double to what I'm paying for Proseries. I would have to raise prices by about $15 per return to make up for that which wouldn't be a huge deal but the price difference is still very significant.

My question is for Lacerte users who have also used Proseries, is there much value in switching over and delivering a superior product to clients and a more accurate tax return, or is it really just based on preference? I'm trying to decide if upgrading is worth it or will just turn into a huge waste of money over the years. Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Cheers