itonewbie
Level 15

@Ruth1 wrote:

Client lived 1/2 in Germany and 1/2 in US...

I noticed then that the previous year accountant who is a US EXPAT tax help used only the foreign tax credit to wipe out all the liability plus some carryovers...

If this does sound appropriate I still get a critical diagnostic about SCH INC and the foreign W2 not having a EIN. I believe I've checked off all the other foreign address et al so am wondering if this will preclude me from filing electronically?

You mentioned the client lived half of the time in Germany and half of the time in the US.  It sounds very much like he has a US abode, which may preclude him from qualifying for §911.  That could be the reason why the previous accountant did not file a F.2555.  Don't have enough info from your post to give an opinion.

What Sch INC are you referring to?

As for EIN, you just need to check the box that no W-2 was issued for foreign compensation, that services were not for services performed in the US, and select the country in which services were performed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar