DJA
Level 1

Can 2019 Federal and California returns be efiled?

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Fed is a definite no 

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
itonewbie
Level 15

CA amended returns can be e-filed.  Lacerte also seems to support it although I haven't tried.  If you prepare an amended CA  return with Sch X, Lacerte will produce FTB 8879 for signature with no CD about e-filing not being supported.

ProSeries, on the other hand, does not support CA amended returns as verified by PS users.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

That is, 1040X is a no. Different answer for amended 1120, 1120S, etc.

Ex-AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

I found this specific to California, and now I'm totally confused. (Mondays am I right?!) Wait - is it Monday?

One last find then I'm out. From the Help ↓

E-Filing Form 1040X- Amended Individual Return

No, the IRS does not currently allow e-filing of Form 1040X. Per the Amended Return FAQs,

At this time, the Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, is not accepted electronically; only an original tax return may be electronically filed. You must file a paper Form 1040X. If you are due a refund, you will be issued a check and cannot use direct deposit. 

However, the E-file Amended Return Wizard has been activated in the Individual Module because you can e-file an Amended Form 114. See Individual E-file Amended Return Wizard Note Prior to E-filing a Federal Form 114 Amended Return for more information.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Amended returns for CA can be e-filed.  It is handled differently than federal individual income tax return, which cannot be e-filed.

As Susan pointed out, amended returns for entities can be e-filed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
MtnTaxMan
Level 3

How about a pair of pants or a pair of socks but not a pair of shirts????

0 Cheers
StknCPA
Level 4

IRS has announced that efiling of federal amended returns is coming later this summer. Assume Lacerte will follow shortly thereafter.

Less sure what IRS means by later this summer.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-form-1040-x-electronic-filing-options-coming-this-summer-...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Less sure what IRS means by later this summer"

The only "official" target announced has been Aug 17.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Assume Lacerte will follow shortly thereafter.

I'm not sure that I agree with "shortly"  -  They will, eventually.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"Assume Lacerte will follow shortly thereafter."

I'm not making that assumption.

Ex-AllStar
Jean284
Level 1

I efiled the clients 2018 taxes. They received a 1099R after filing.  Amended the 2018 taxes, they will mail in the Federal 1040x, but the California 540x with form X needs to be efiled.

How in ProSeries?

Thank you 

0 Cheers