Before you start:
- Calculate all client files in your original program.
- Remove any locks.
- Remove any passwords
- If you use UltraTax Fixed Asset CS, be sure that you can open the Fixed Asset software and view the client asset data at the machine where you will be performing the backup, otherwise the asset data may not be included with the backup.
- Individual (1040)
- Partnership (1065)
- Corporation (1120)
- S-Corporation (1120S)
- Create a new folder on your C: drive named ConversionData before you begin the backup process (e.g., C:\ConversionData).
- Open the C:\ConversionData folder.
- Create a subfolder for each tax type you need to submit for data conversion. The tiles need to be formatted as follows:
- Open UltraTax.
- Complete the following steps for each tax type you are submitting.
- On the File menu, click Backup...
- In the Backup window, clear the box for Exclude clients unchanged since their last backup in the bottom left corner.
- If you are backing up 1040 or 1065 clients:
- Select Only One tax type under the Focus section (1040 or 1065).
- Press and hold CTRL and click on each client you want, then click Select, or click Select All to select all clients.
- If you are backup up 1120 or 1120S clients:
- Select only 1120 under the Focus section.
- In the list of clients click the Entity column heading to sort the clients by entity.
- Select only one group of clients to backup by clicking on the first client of that tax type and then holding Shift while clicking on the last client of that tax type.
- Click on Select to select them for backup.
- Click Modify Backup Location.
- In the Modify Location dialog box, set your target directory to C:\ConversionData.
- Click OK.
- Ensure Encrypt client backup is not checked.
- Click Backup to begin the backup process.
- An additional file is also needed from the data folder. Open the UltraTax install directory (e.g., C:\WinCSI) and navigate to the UT19DATA folder.
- Find the file CltList.WT9, right-click on it and choose Copy.
- Browse to the C:\ConversionData folder, right-click in an empty space and choose Paste.
Open C:\ConversionData to view the files that have been backed up. A valid UltraTax backup contains one folder for each tax type. Inside the ConversionData folder, there is a file named CltList.WT8. Include all files generated by the backup process in order to prevent any delays in the conversion process.
What items will be converted?
The main purpose of this conversion is to get your data ready for the following tax year. Therefore, viewing a Form 1040 will not display the same results that had been filed. The conversion is very limited and includes only the basic information in the following PDF document.