For important information about using Internet Explorer, click here.
What are the system requirements for ProSeries Tax and ProSeries Tax Basic Edition?
Below are the Recommended and Minimum system requirements for tax year 2020. We strongly suggest using the Recommended system requirements if you have more than 1,000 client files, or the Federal 1040 and all individual states are installed or you prepare large, complex returns.
System Requirements for 2020 ProSeries, 2020 ProSeries Basic Edition, and 2020 Fixed Asset Manager
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 (Download here)
|Computer Processor||Intel Core i5 or better, with 2.5 GHz +|
(or equivalent processor)
|Installed Random Access Memory (RAM)||
8 GB RAM or more
8 GB RAM
Based on continued performance testing, we have increased our minimum RAM requirement to 8GB. If you are running ProSeries on a computer with less than 8GB of RAM, you will experience slower performance when opening the program and completing tax returns. To improve performance, we recommend upgrading your RAM to 8GB or more.
|Free Hard Drive Space||Solid State (SSD)||Hard Disk Drive (HDD) with at least 4GB available|
|Operating System|| |
Windows 10 (64-bit)
Since Windows 10S does not support the installation of applications outside of Microsoft's app store, ProSeries use is not supported by Windows 10S.
|Windows 8.1 (64-bit)|
|Printer||Any PCL 5E or higher compatible printer with 32 MB of printer memory||Any PCL 5E or higher compatible printer with 32 MB of printer memory|
|Internet Connection||High-speed Internet connection (ex. Fiber or Cable)||High-speed Internet connection (ex. DSL, Cable Modem or Satellite)|
Internet Explorer 11.0
Internet Explorer 11.0 or later
|File Server Computer Processor||
Dedicated File server, 2.0 GHz CPU or faster
|2.0 GHz CPU as a dedicated File server|
|File Server Installed Random Access Memory (RAM)||
8 GB RAM or more on the file server
8 GB RAM on the file server
|Operating System for File Server||Windows 10 (64-bit)|
Windows Server 2012 Standard
Windows Server 2016
|Windows 8.1 (64-bit)|
|Network infrastructure||100 Mbps connection environment||54 Mbps connection environment - includes wireless environments|
- DVD-ROM Required if installing from DVD but not required if installing from download
- We cannot guarantee that ProSeries products/solutions will function properly on operating systems, software, and hardware we do not support. ProSeries Technical Support will not be able to help customers solve problems on unsupported environments in tax year 2020, or prior tax years.
- While some Customers run ProSeries in a Windows emulation environment (i.e Virtual Machine) on the Apple MacOS operating system, support for this type of install may be limited. Customers using the Apple MacOS may wish to use our online or hosted software options instead. See for more information on ProConnect Tax for our online tax product or Tax Software Hosting for ProSeries.
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) is not supported due to the lack of Microsoft Windows-based Operating System.
- Terminal Server environments are not supported.
- Installing/Upgrading to Microsoft .NET 4.8
- Microsoft discontinuing Windows 7 support
- Computer Maintenance Tips form ProSeries Service and Care
- System requirements for 2021 ProSeries and Fixed Asset Manager
- System requirements for 2019 ProSeries and Fixed Asset Manager
- System Requirements for 2018 ProSeries Professional Edition, ProSeries Basic Edition and ProSeries Fixed Asset Manager
- Visit the Microsoft web site for RAM requirements for Windows operating systems.