The IRS program shuts down accessing the Form/Returns Selection screen or when selecting the Form/Return Type from Electronic Filing. Cannot create Transmission File.
This issue is usually caused by incorrectly formatted Transmission files in the Data Directory.
- Close the Information Return System
- From File Explorer, go to the directory where the Company Data is stored. The default is C:IRS20XXDATA.
- Search for the W-2 transmission file(s), *.TW2. Search for the 1099 efile(s), *.TA. The file format is 18XXXXXX.TW2 where 18 is the program year, XXXXXX is the 6 digit Company ID (3 digit id's will have leading zeroes), a period, and the file type (TA or TW2).
- Look for files with 2 periods. Example: 18000100..TW2 or 18000200..TA.
- Delete these files and leave the normally formatted ones.
- Go back into the program and access Electronic Filing > Transmit Forms/Returns.
- You should be able to create the E-file now.
If you cannot locate any files from Step 4 above with the double periods, perform the following steps:
- Cut and Paste the *.TA or *.TW2 files to a new folder. Note: Do Not use Copy and Paste.
- Now Copy and Paste the files back to the original Data folder.
If neither of these procedures work:
- Delete the .TA or .TW2 files.
- Go back through the steps to create new transmission and e-files.