This article will help you resolve the critical e-file diagnostic:
A taxpayer daytime telephone number is required for electronic filing (ref #16791)
This diagnostic will generate if the telephone number has not yet been entered for the taxpayer, or if the options are set to suppress the daytime phone number and the state requires the phone number to be present.
Follow these steps to resolve this diagnostic and avoid e-file rejection:
- Go to Screen 1, Client Information.
- Scroll down to the Taxpayer Contact Information section.
- Verify that a Taxpayer Telephone number is entered.
- Verify that the Daytime Telephone number is correctly selected.
If the telephone number is entered correctly the option will need to be changed. This can be changed globally or per client.
To change the option globally:
- From the Settings menu, choose Options.
- Select the Tax Return tab.
- Scroll down to the Federal Tax Options section.
- Select Print from the option, Daytime Telephone Number.
To change the option per client:
- Go to Screen 3, Miscellaneous Information.
- Enter a '1' in, Daytime phone: 1=print, 2= print (suppress when optional), 3= suppress [O].