Before you start:
- There is not an option to preview the attached PDF file nor to print the attached PDF with the return.
- PDF files are limited in size. The entire file, including PDF attachments, submitted via e-file is limited to 32 MB. A single attachment is limited to 1.5MB.
- PDF files cannot be attached to returns after they are transmitted for e-file.
To attach a PDF to the Federal e-file return:
- Go to Screen 4, Electronic Filing.
- Click on the PDF Attachment button.
- Click on the Attach PDF button.
- Select Browse Files
- Choose the PDF you need to attach.
- Click on Open.
- Click on OK.
- Select the form/type to link the attachment to from the Link to form (defaults to main form) drop-down menu.
To add multiple attachments:
- Click on Add under e-file Attachment section from the left navigation panel.
- Repeat steps 4 through 10 to attach another PDF.
- Attaching PDFs to State returns is the same process as attaching PDFs to the Federal Return.
- If the state allows PDF attachments there will be a separate section for the state. Check the box, Send PDF attachment with [STATE] return, and select the appropriate option or enter the Form and line number on state return (this input varies from state to state).
- Diagnostics indicating an attachment is required may not clear once the attachment has been included. To verify the attachment has been included, select the "View PDF" button.
- If a specific option is available to identify the attachment, the diagnostic should clear, otherwise the program has no way to confirm the required attachment has been included.
- Once a PDF is attached, it will remain with the return until it is deleted.