Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information System-Creating W-2 Transmission File

Wildguy
Level 1

There is now a box stating W2EF(SSA) with .txt format. Is anyone aware of how that works? Looking at the Release Notes, it seems that along with the normal file extension one is also created with a .txt extension. I need the .txt for Illinois W-2's but not for any other. Has anyone used this? How do you tell the two apart? If I uncheck that box does it only eliminate the creation of the .txt files? Can I go back a second time and use that box to create .txt files?    

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
JRC
Level 8

SSA is now a .TXT file format instead of the .DAT file format for 2021.

K P
Level 1

Were you able to successfully upload Illinois W2 file? MY TXT file states there are sequence issues for all files.

RECORD TYPE IS OUT OF SEQUENCE. RECORD IS OUT OF ORDER. SEE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMIN PUBLICATION FOR FILING W-2 FORMS ELECTRONICALLY.

anyone know how to correct this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

0 Cheers
Wildguy
Level 1

Yes I was. I just changed the name of the files from .dat to .txt. They uploaded into Illinois W-2 system with no problem. Not so for Indiana.

0 Cheers
K P
Level 1

Turns out we created the files prior to the most recent update, which corrected the most recent sequence issues that I was encountering. 

for anyone else having this issue, the .DAT file must be changed to lowercase.txt file (for Illinois submissions)

0 Cheers