Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-NEC Printing

jackets0586
Level 2

When ordering forms this year, I saw that 1099-NECs were going to 3 per page so that is what I ordered.  When we tried printing 1099-NECs from the Information Return System, the federal copy will print 3 per page, but the recipient copy still prints one per page with instructions at the bottom.  Does anyone know if this will be corrected in the expected update today?

0 Cheers
23 Comments 23
pkellycpa
Level 5

Even more important to me is, where do you find envelopes for those 3 up 1099-NECs?

Easy Acct supply said they did not carry them.

0 Cheers
jackets0586
Level 2

I order our supplies through Tenenz.

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

We get forms and envelopes thru "Greatland" 

0 Cheers
CPA in Texas
Level 1

I  have found a partial work around...instead of printing Copy B for the 3 different per page, use copy 2 instead....this works....

BUT....the envelopes that I got from Tenenz for these to match the preprinted 3 per page Copy B forms do not fit clearly in the envelope windows because they page splits don't match up right for the envelopes...even though these are the special ones for this form.

0 Cheers
mikeyst28
Level 3

This is the issue we have as well, but it's not really a proper work around. Copy 2 will not let you suppress the printing of the ss# and since they don't line up right we'd just be mailing forms with everyone's SS#, full name, and address on display for everyone to see.  Obviously that's not the answer.  All in all its just a complete mess this year trying to print these things and get them into the envelopes that we were told to use.

pkellycpa
Level 5

When I took my first computer course at Bentley in 1970, we could format documents with COBAL.

Now in 2022, we cannot get a print function right? How much intelligence does it take to put the little lines where they belong?

pkellycpa
Level 5

Maybe we need to enter data in Sanskrit.

jackets0586
Level 2

We started printing the B,C,1 copy and this seems to be the best work around so far.  We shred the extra copies and the copy B seems to fit well in the envelopes ordered through Tenenz.

mikeyst28
Level 3

This looks like it works to a point, but we're wasting a LOT of 1099-NEC paper if we decide to keep going this way.  We ordered paper thinking we could get 3 to a page and if we have to go to 1 per page we're not going to have enough, with means ordering even more of it. 

cajungirl
Level 2

Has anybody seen an official response from Intuit about this post - 1099-NEC Printing problems?  There have been program updates this week, but the printing problem was not fixed.  The program is not printing the forms in an IRS compliant format.  The spacing between forms is off, so messing with the line and margin alignments does not help.  It is most likely that the envelopes that we have all ordered from various vendors are IRS compliant, therefore, none of them will work.  Sure would like to hear something back from Intuit support ASAP.  We've all ordered paper and envelopes that will not work with the program as it is now!  Anything Intuit?!?

JRC
Level 8

I've been using regular copy paper printing the 3-up and cutting to fit with a paper cutter or fold and use a letter opener. I also trim the right side to fit the 1099 envelopes.

JRC
Level 8

Greatland #99DWENVS 1099 envelopes

0 Cheers
mikeyst28
Level 3

I don't know how many 1099s you do, but that seems like a lot of extra work and a lot of wasted 1099 paper. For now we're sticking with doing the 3 per page B,C,1, mailing the B and keeping the others as our file copies.  Once we run out of 1099 forms then we'll have to rethink our approach, but for now this seems like the best temporary solution. 

pkellycpa
Level 5

The EasyAcct supply guy said they were going to re send me envelopes that are 8.5 in wide for the NEC.

I will print them on the 3 up paper, fold to fit and send them off.

I see some people are trimming and just sending the part b. Can you get plain paper with the right side perf? Just fold em  and send all 3 copies.

I print copy C for the company. 

cajungirl
Level 2

I don't understand why Intuit isn't fixing this issue!  I'm not an IT person, but it seems like it would be an easy fix for them as part of the update.  Just adjust the space between the three parts per page on the 1099-NEC copy B, C, 1 and/or copy 2.  We just installed the most recent version and still no fix! 

0 Cheers
pkellycpa
Level 5

Must be another Covid surge in Bombay.

It seems that all the programming is being done in India. Maybe if you contact them in their time zone, someone will be awake.

Intuit is determined to drive people to use QuickBooks. They neglect the superior program to drive practitioners over there.

cajungirl
Level 2

Can anybody tell me what 1099-NEC printing problem was fixed with this latest update 2021.2.03?  I don't see anything different.  What we've done is make 3-part copies of Copy 2, just the form(no data) onto the front of our purchased 3-part perforated paper with instructions on the back.  We did some alignment adjustments on Copy A (which only prints the data, but not the form).  Then we print just the data (Copy A) onto the 3-up perforated paper, preprinted Copy 2 form.  It works, but lots of trouble just to get the recipient copies to fit into the envelopes. 

0 Cheers
mikeyst28
Level 3

Printing the "state" copies used to print all the forms and then about 3 more pages of extra blank ones. It no longer does that. Apparently that was the fix, nothing to do with the alignment issues.

0 Cheers
cajungirl
Level 2

Thanks mikeyst28.  So others are still having the issue with the form not printing on 3-up perf paper or fitting in purchased envelopes?  We've done the "work around", but not happily.

0 Cheers
jackets0586
Level 2

Printing the B,C,1 copies was working well for us until the latest update last week.  Now the address spacing is so far off that the address no longer fits in the envelope windows.  I don't understand why this is so difficult to fix for Intuit.  Oh wait I do, they just don't care.

cajungirl
Level 2

jackets0586 You are exactly right!  This is the email that I received from them today.  I'm not sure that I agree that the 1099NECs were "programmed per the IRS specifications", but I guess it's possible that the IRS sent specifications that differ from the actual forms.  Given the state of things this year, nothing would surprise me!  Or maybe it's the envelope makers fault 😏, but wait a sec, Intuit also sells the envelopes that don't work.  I wonder what specifications were used for those. Hmmm 🤔.  🙄

Thank you for contacting Intuit Accountants EasyACCT Email Support. 

We will not be updating the 1099NECs alignments any further. They are programmed per the IRS specifications, and we are unable to change the alignment any further than we already have. They will not fit properly in the envelopes with the windows. We recommend using a different envelope, or envelopes with mailing labels. 

Thank you for being an EasyACCT customer! We appreciate your business. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I'm done now!  Until next year ...

0 Cheers
jackets0586
Level 2

Oh I got the same "IRS Specifications" reasoning when I called a while back and was told I could call the IRS and have them send updated specifications HAHAHA.  I was told it is a new form this year so that's what they have to go by.  My response was that the NEC was new LAST year and why is it that if they are required to print the way Intuit thinks they are are all forms you can buy 3 UPs and why does the Copy A print correctly?  They didn't have a response for me.  It is utterly ridiculous how bad their service has been over the last couple years.

0 Cheers
pkellycpa
Level 5

Looks like they have outlasted us again.

Keep up the BS and eventually the deadline will pass and it becomes a moot point.