Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099 electronic file issues - Wisconsin

NoMoreTax
Level 3

Has anyone tried to submit a 1099-NEC test file to the state of WI? Last year we had issues getting the IRS system to generate the electronic file in the format WI wanted. We ended up mailing a bunch of them in. 

I just tried to upload a test file for 2021 and it's coming back with some of the same errors I got last year. Has anyone had similar issues or been able to submit 1099's to WI? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Any input is much appreciated!

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
JRC
Level 8

We had the same problem last year. I am unsure how to proceed with it for 2021 yet.

0 Cheers
NoMoreTax
Level 3

Yikes... I was really hoping that it was me doing something wrong and this would be a simple fix. Suppose I should know better at this point.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to reach out to their support team and see if they have any new info or solutions since last year since last year. I'll let you know if I find anything out

JRC
Level 8

I have a problem with Box 6 of the 1099-NEC not large enough to fit the Wisconsin (State/Payers state no) which should include this (WI 036888888888801).

Last year I contacted Intuit and was informed they do not support State 1099's.

I contacted State of Wisconsin and they informed me to do my best with the state numbers but was receiving Notices from them on the errors which was a mess.

Any way I will try to Efile using the "Combined Reporting" which was told we could do if there is Zero Withholdings for Wisconsin. IF all else fails I will mail them in or Enter them Manually using the "MY Tax Account".

Needless to say it is quite a mess to satisfy them in charge.

0 Cheers
NoMoreTax
Level 3

We had pretty much the same issues. 

I did speak with DoR this morning and confirmed the same thing, can do the combined federal program unless they have withholding. IRS doesn't send WI the 1099's until April.

We did upload a few through My Tax Account (more than 10 1099's) last year but that is a huge pain. All said and done, we mailed off a bunch last year just to be on the safe side.

I haven't decided if we are going to do the same thing this year. But yeah, what a mess.

JRC
Level 8

My test file came back BAD... Something about  1'A record has a 1 in position 6 indicating participation in Combined filing program, howeer No B records contains a valid code in positions 747-748.

grrrr

0 Cheers
JRC
Level 8

I sent two test files through the (Fire.test.irs.gov) yesterday for 1099Misc and 1099Nec (also checked for Combined Reporting) Which you have to check manually on all your companies.

Both came back as "ACCEPTABLE"  for Combined Federal/State filing format.

I'm going forward now.

0 Cheers