A Fatal Application Exit error message is generating when trying to open a client, make a copy of a client, proforma client(s) from the prior year, or close Lacerte.
Solution 1: Reindex your database
There may have been an issue detected with your database. You can run CLPACK to reindex your database and correct the error. Refer to this article for instructions on running CLPACK in Lacerte.
You should back up your data before running CLPACK. Refer to this article for instructions on backing up your data.
Solution 2: Delete .XPY files
If the error is occuring after you proforma'd your clients from the prior year, you may need to delete .XPY files and run CLPACK again.
This article references default installation paths and uses YY to reference the tax year in 20YY format. C: will always indicate the local drive and X: will always indicate the network drive. X = the module or tax type. For example, an .XPY file could be ClientNumber.IP0.
Follow these steps to delete .XPY files:
- Browse to the Data Path where you proforma'd the client files.
- You can do this by holding down the Windows logo key + R to open the Run application, entering the Data Path and clicking OK.
- This will be the next tax year folder. For example, C:\Lacerte\20tax\IDATA.
- Locate and highlight all of the .XPY files.
- For example, ClientNumber.IP0.
- Right-click on the files.
- Select Delete.
- Run CLPACK again using the steps in Solution 1 above.
- Back up your data prior to running CLPACK using the steps in this article.
- Follow the steps in this article to proforma your client files again.