Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of 2019 income for 2020 Earned Income Credit

coco5425
Level 2

I read that due to Covid-19, the IRS is allowing tax payers to use their 2019 income to qualify for 2020 Earned Income Credit if they did not make enough during 2020 to qualify for the EITC. 

Is this correct?    If so, do we also include the low 2020 income on the tax return?

Cora V. Springer Boyd

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes.  If your earned income in 2020 is less than your earned income in 2019, you have the option to use the 2019 earned income figure to compute EIC. 

You neglected to include which software youre using, buut in ProSeries its on the EIC worksheet.

"If so, do we also include the low 2020 income on the tax return?

I dont understand this sentence.

You prepare the return as usual.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
coco5425
Level 2

Many thanks for your response  I am using Pro Series Basic -  

0 Cheers
Audrey
Level 1

In regards to this option, I am using Proseries...it is not allowing us to efile the return if we choose this option.  Does anyone know if this will change?  If it doesn't, do we have to attach a copy of their 2019 tax return when we paper file the 2020 return??  Just looking for some guidance.

0 Cheers