Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Stimulus for ITIN

ebleija
Level 2

I am getting conflicting opinions on whether people with ITIN's will receive stimulus checks for their dependents. Not for themselves this I know they don't get but for dependents with SSN when both parents (filing jointly) or one parent (filing single) have ITIN.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Read what the IRS states:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/more-details-about-the-third-round-of-economic-impact-payments

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
ebleija
Level 2

I've read the entire page. I am asking specifically when both parents have ITIN but dependents have SSN. I don't think they qualify but I am seeing other tax preparers post on social media that they do. 

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

If you would rather listen to ignorant people, don't come here and ask someone who knows.  

0 Cheers
ebleija
Level 2

So I'm right then, they don't qualify correct? I am not listening to anyone I want a specific answer, I've read the law, I've read numerous articles and no one is clear on the status for two ITIN parents with SSN kids. Even here I am not getting a clear answer. I have clients asking me and I need to give them a clear response.

0 Cheers
sonadora-j
Level 3

I am also getting questions about this apparently someone saw a video on youtube from a immigration attorney telling everyone that itin filers with kids who have socials now qualify. I have been telling all my clients be weary, because until someone I trust tells me they received it I won't believe it. The irs page info also does have a question under the latest stimulus info that states they do, but in another area it seems to contradict it. I also cannot find any other info about this. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you familiar with the phrase "mixed status family?"

Are you familiar with the word "matrix?"

A Matrix exists when you have many variables in nearly any combination, to apply against each other. Such as "mixed status family" of NRA, ITIN, SSN, none of the above...

There is no way someone can put all the info into every question that is asked, or to address specifically each and every permutation of the combinations.

But the googles know! Keep asking Google, since these things were just finalized last month and the IRS has an ever-changing picture.

I googled:

third stimulus mixed family status

And there are a lot of Old, Bad, results. But some look promising, such as this one, provided by CNet to MSN News:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/mixed-status-citizenship-and-stimulus-checks-what-to-know-...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers