Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus check deposited deceased, but deceased passed March 31 2020..?

jeska210
Level 1

So my mother just recently passed on March 31,2020. She claims my 2 kids and received a stimulus for $2200 on April 15 2020, now the irs is trying to take back this money from her bank because she is no longer alive. I am her beneficiary on her bank account so when I went in and tried closing and transferring everything to my account, I was told a week later by a member of chase that it hadn't gone through yet because the irs was trying to take it back(reclamation). Im sorry, but my mom was alive through this pandemic just as much as anybody and I believe deserved this money. I have the letter from the white house to her saying when these checks were approved and sent out which was March 27 2020. So I dont understand why the irs is trying to reclaim this stimulus. Not only that but, $1000 of this money is for my 2 children. My mother struggled just as much as everybody else during this pandemic if not more, every day for 5 days straight I had to take her to have chemo which eventually is what took her life, it was just too much and with everything going on her body was not strong enough. She eventually passed 3 days after her last chemo from severe sepsis and died alone in the hospital. Can someone please help me..i believe my mom is still owed this money and should be able to keep it, after all she was alive when these checks went out. I've tried to get a hold of someone, but nothing. Now, I'm unsure of what to do if a second round of stimulus checks go out, how do I get for my 2 kids if my mom is no longer here...? Help!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Cheers!

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15
qbteachmt
Level 15

@IntuitBettyJo 

Can you please Lock This Topic? Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Jeska - George answered your question in your other post.  If the money gets taken away, your mother may still be eligible for at least part of the payment, but it will involve filing a 2020 tax return next year.  But in the meantime, you might want to consider calling your congressperson and tell them your story.  If you don't get any satisfaction going down that road, I understand that newspapers and TV stations love telling stories like yours.  On the other hand, presidents and other elected officials don't really like to watch those kinds of stories on TV ----------------- for some odd reason, they seem to think that it makes them look bad.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The guy who signed that letter said two days after that payment was deposited that it was a mistake and they would take it back.  That's not what the law says, but these days it doesn't matter.  It will be allowed on a final 1040 for 2020, unless IRS doesn't track repayments and tells you that it was already paid.