Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self -Employment and COVID relief

Jessybowman
Level 2

I have a client has employment and self employed income - can they claim home office on their 2125 as well as the COVID work from home $2/day flat rate in the same year? Any help at all would be appreciated.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

This seems likely a Canada tax issue? You are asking on a US forum.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
IRonMaN
Level 15

I don't know what state you are dealing with, but from here that sounds a bit like double dipping to me.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

This seems likely a Canada tax issue? You are asking on a US forum.

0 Cheers
Jessybowman
Level 2

She claims its a US return, a client asked to post her question on our community forum, as she could not. I researched but couldn't find much information on the subject. Are you saying that the 2$ per day is only for Canadians?

0 Cheers
Jessybowman
Level 2

Thanks for your response, truthfully client didn't give me a state , just asked me to post the question to the community. It's tricky question and haven't been able to find much information regarding it. But thank you for your reply , seems like wise advise.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Are you saying that the 2$ per day is only for Canadians?"

That form and that provision are available in Canada. I've never seen "$2 per day" in the US, and if you put "2$" that seems Foreign to me.

Read this:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/do-you-know-you-can-claim-400-in-expenses-if-you-worked-from-home-du...

How can you not know which Country this is for?

0 Cheers
Jessybowman
Level 2

Well FYI you we correct, she fessed up and told me it was B C Canada. You sure know your stuff, thanks.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"it was B C Canada"

I'm in Montana, just 2 hours South of the BC border. We have family in Canada and some of us have dual citizenship.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"It's tricky question and haven't been able to find much information regarding it"

This community is for using Lacerte, ProSeries and ProConnect, which are US Income tax preparation programs. I provided a link to the Canada TurboTax forum, which is as close as you can get to that question not being tricky, at all. Good luck.

0 Cheers