Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing of stimulus checks and 2019 e-file

ESHRIMPS
Level 2

I have several clients who owe money this year and asked me to wait to e-file until after they receive their stimulus checks so they can figure out how to best pay their 2019 taxes. All of them are getting "Status not Available message" on the IRS Get My Payment website.

I am wondering if they haven't gotten their payment because they hadn't filed yet, but I'm also wondering if I e-file their returns now if it will actually delay their payment further? They are asking for advice and I'm not sure what to tell them.

Has anyone heard anything from the IRS about whether filing right now will delay their payment until their 2019 return is processed?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

13 Comments 13
abctax55
Level 15

I have one client (couple) - their 2019 return has not been filed.

They got their stimulus check early, the first day (April 15).

Others with 2018 &2019 filed, who qualify, have received nothing.  

Others with JUST 2018 filed, who qualify, have received nothing AND get that obnoxious message.

There's no rhyme/reason that I can detect based on my client base.

And I've threatened (semi-seriously) to terminate the next client who asks.  And I don't mean terminate as in fire them...😎 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

This is just based on my limited personal info and contacts. I still get that message and have not yet filed 2019. One of my clients was having problems until this weekend. They qualified for stimulus and have filed both, but could not get to the bank info due to various errors, but finally this weekend they got notice that their check will be mailed next Friday.  My daughter in law has not yet filed 2019 and received her direct deposit last week. My guess is, based on limited data, is that all 2018 stimulus payments are "in the works". I THINK they are sending to the lowest income first and working their way up to those that are probably closer to the break even point later. 

My understanding is that the stimulus money is not to be used to offset anything. I do not believe filing a tax due return now will delay anything, but it will not get their deposit information in any quicker. Personally I sent in an extension payment to overpay my taxes, so when I do file (probably next week) I will get a refund (small), but I can give them my bank info.  People First - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-unveils-new-people-first-initiative-covid-19-effort-temporarily-adj...

My suggestion is to tell them to google the question so that you don't give them the wrong answer. This new moving target is way to hard to out guess and actually way beyond what our tax "preparation" is supposed to go.  Or just say "I wish I knew. I am not sure even IRS or Mnuchin knows."

They can file now, but payment is not due until 7/15. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

And I've threatened (semi-seriously) to terminate the next client who asks.  And I don't mean terminate as in fire them...😎 

LOL.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I have not filed 2019 and got my EIP on the 15th of April, so I dont think it has anything to do with whether you filed 2019 yet or not.

FWIW, I owed in 2018 and used direct debit to pay the balance due and the EIP was direct deposited into that direct debit account.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"And I've threatened (semi-seriously) to terminate the next client who asks.  And I don't mean terminate as in fire them..."

I'll sneak on to your jury if you do the same for me.  These people are driving me bonkers.  Evidently nobody has anything better to do than devote all of their time and energy trying to determine the exact minute their stimulus payment is going to show up.  😢

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

@IRonMaN 

Jeff, it's a deal.  I've got your six, always.  I'll even post bail for you, if they'll accept all my "points". 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- "I owed in 2018 and used direct debit to pay the balance due and the EIP was direct deposited into that direct debit account."

Does Treasury have that bank account information for some other purpose?  I doubt that the 2018 return was the source.

Here's an interesting (unrelated) case.  Student in 2018, claimed as dependent by parents that year and that was shown on the return, which had a small refund direct deposited.  Has not filed 2019 yet (will no longer be claimed).  Payment was deposited to the account shown on 2018 return.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@BobKamman wrote:

@Just-Lisa-Now- "I owed in 2018 and used direct debit to pay the balance due and the EIP was direct deposited into that direct debit account."

Does Treasury have that bank account information for some other purpose?  I doubt that the 2018 return was the source.

Here's an interesting (unrelated) case.  Student in 2018, claimed as dependent by parents that year and that was shown on the return, which had a small refund direct deposited.  Has not filed 2019 yet (will no longer be claimed).  Payment was deposited to the account shown on 2018 return.  

I've owed the past few years and used that account....havent ever used it for direct deposit and I dont have any other reason to use it for anything Treasury related.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Lostandfound46
Level 1

I want to say my boyfriend filed his same day as i did march 30 he has already got his three weeks ago and he has to pay in i get 17.00 back and still pending no stimulus either

0 Cheers
Lostandfound46
Level 1
Spoiler
I would like to remind irs our stimulus is waiting cause you can not even just get our info off of 2019 returns i should not had filed but at the beginning they said everyone needs to do a short form so i did now look 
0 Cheers
Lostandfound46
Level 1

I e filed March 30 and i am still waiting i thought about e filing 2018 see if they would respond faster 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Maybe they ran out of money after your boyfriend got his payment

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Lostandfound46 

You are lost on the internet; this is a forum for peer users of professional tax preparer programs for using that software and how the tax regulations apply to that task. You just made a username on a forum about which you know nothing; that is not how to play safely on the internet.

Since you are looking for a personal discussion for stimulus payments, you should go elsewhere on the internet. You will find resources at Turbo Tax, for instance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-much-stimulus-money-will-i-get/00/1398243

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.