Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer Died 03/2020

Level 4

taxpayer died 03/2020, she filed her 2019 tax return and received stimulus of 1,200 via direct deposit to her  bank account. Can her kids use the money or should they contact the IRS to return it? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm surprised the bank account is still open.  I don't have any doubt that 2020 decedents (that is, their heirs and beneficiaries) are entitled to the credit, just as they would be on a final 1040 next year had she bought energy-efficient windows in January.  For 2019 decedents, I think IRS had to follow the precedent from 2008, when they sent rebates to those who died in 2007.  For 2018, I think IRS asked Treasury, "Do you want it right or do you want it fast?", and they got their answer.  

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
BobKamman
Level 15

I'm surprised the bank account is still open.  I don't have any doubt that 2020 decedents (that is, their heirs and beneficiaries) are entitled to the credit, just as they would be on a final 1040 next year had she bought energy-efficient windows in January.  For 2019 decedents, I think IRS had to follow the precedent from 2008, when they sent rebates to those who died in 2007.  For 2018, I think IRS asked Treasury, "Do you want it right or do you want it fast?", and they got their answer.