Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stimulus

S C
Level 2

what i have to do if my client doesn’t remember how much he received from the  stimulus?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Unverified, but I read this on another forum:

"If you have the ability to pull your clients' transcripts, the EIP is already posted to their 2020 account. Code 766 reports the amount of the credit authorized and Code 846 reports the amount actually sent to the taxpayer."

View solution in original post

15 Comments 15
itonewbie
Level 15

Copy of the Notice 1444, bank statements?  There's got to be a record somewhere.

The IRS was said to be developing a portal for checking the amount of EIP made but I haven't seen anything new on that so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Tell them to look at their bank account if they had it direct deposited. 

Hopefully the IRS will come out with a look-up tool online that we can use, but so far, no word about that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
rbynaker
Level 13

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Hopefully the IRS will come out with a look-up tool online that we can use, but so far, no word about that.

Assuming the IRS creates such a thing (I expect that they will), that would have worked fine in the vast majority of cases for "round 1" EIPs.  But the early filers may be filing tax returns before their checks/debit cards have been issued for round 2.  So then we're branching off into a multitude of possibilities: delay filing, file and hope (and possibly amend later), file and claim the additional credit (and possibly deal with an IRS adjustment later), etc.

S C
Level 2

but he got it in a check not direct deposed 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well if he didn't get deposed, and his memory isn't worth diddly, and the IRS doesn't have a lookup system, assume he got the full $1200.

Slava Ukraini!
S C
Level 2

but it could be that he got a check just he dont remember the amount 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You already asked yesterday, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/coronavirus/discussion/stimulus/00/110851

No need to ask twice.

I responded there:

The IRS provides for checking on it:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
S C
Level 2

hi

you didn't understand my question. its not that he dont know if he got a check, he just dont know how much. what do i have to enter in his tax return 

0 Cheers
S C
Level 2

by the way the IRS link that you gave me not shows now the status of stimulus  payments 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Ask your client to get their bank account statements and look for what they deposited. Most times, no one cashes the check; they deposit it, so there is a record.

"by the way the IRS link that you gave me not shows now the status of stimulus  payments"

The IRS has removed it for update to match the expectation of the new bill passing. Not everything lasts forever.

0 Cheers
S C
Level 2

but he got it in a check and i was cashed by a check cashing he dont have now any record re. this money 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@S C 

At this point, there IS no way to determine the amount.

POSSIBLY, the IRS will provide the info long before the 2020 return has to be filed.

If not, then you'll likely need to report that your *client*  DID get the full amount and hopefully, the IRS will correct if that's not the case.

If your client ends up getting nothing or less than he was "entitled" (?) to, it's his own fault for not keeping proper records.

At this point, there is not a darned thing any of us volunteer, tax professionals on this board can do to help.  And it's not really an issue right now is it?  No returns can actually be filed for a month.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

Unverified, but I read this on another forum:

"If you have the ability to pull your clients' transcripts, the EIP is already posted to their 2020 account. Code 766 reports the amount of the credit authorized and Code 846 reports the amount actually sent to the taxpayer."

qbteachmt
Level 15

I found an image as example:

https://www.irsmind.com/irs-notices/irs-transcripts-now-provide-stimulus-payment-information/

S C
Level 2

thank  you 

0 Cheers