Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Payments and SSDI

curt1
Level 4

Two questions for the price of one:

Will 19 y.o. permanently disabled special needs child living with parents receiving SSDI qualify for a stimulus payment if claimed as a dependent (ie parents provided more than half support) on parents return in 2018, assuming 2019 return was not filed?

Would child qualify for stimulus if parents didn't claim as dependent (ie did not provide half support) on their 2019 return?

The $700 question:  Trying to figure out if taxpayer gets $500 qualifying child credit on their return or child could receive $1,200 stimulus on their own.

I'm finding conflicting SSDI information out there so if anyone knows where to find definitive guidance, I'd appreciate it. (the SSA website was not helpful)

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they were claimed as a dependent, no stimulus for anyone.

If they were not claimed then,. from the info out there, they should see a 1200 stimulus payment be direct deposited into their SS account...not sure when those are supposed to happen though.

For some people they are using 2018 info, for others they are using 2019 info....must be some kind of internal cut off date...if no 2019 return was filed by XX date, they use 2018...if one was filed, they use 2019...but nobody knows for sure.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
curt1
Level 4

If not claimed as a dependent on the parent's 2019 return, do you know if the SSDI person would qualify for the $1200 stimulus tax credit next tax season by filing a 2020 return? 

Obviously, the parents would not be able to claim the dependent again in 2020, so they would forego another $500 child tax credit.  That would still make it favorable but only by $200 ($1200 stimulus less two lost $500 credits).

I appreciate your thoughts.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is an advance on the 2020 return...so if theyre not a dependent in 2020 and file a return, they would get the credit on the 2020 return....at least this is how I understand it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪