Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Payment

ungvarys
Level 2

I have a client with only social security income who hasn't had to file 2018 or 2019.  His wife filed married separate both years.  I filled out the info for non-filers & it was rejected because his name is on his wife's return as her husband.  Does that disqualify him?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

I recommend using a web search on the following:

irs stimulus faq

Because the IRS has the answers and are doing a good job of keeping their FAQ updated as the details get defined.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

For example, right now I see question 58:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#ssrrva

ungvarys
Level 2

I looked all over IRS website. Still couldn’t find anything referencing my situation. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I looked all over IRS website."

I gave the link, and I pointed out it is question 58. You don't need to look everywhere; just read the answers they provide at the question that matches your question.

0 Cheers
ungvarys
Level 2

I don't see any reference to married filing separately there?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I don't see any reference to married filing separately there?"

Question 58 is for Social Security, Railroad Retirement and Department of Veteran Affairs benefit recipients. That's what you asked about.

First, it tells you there is Nothing needed to be done for the client, the Beneficiary, as you describe. The client that gets SS direct deposit would get the stimulus DD as well; otherwise, as a paper check.

Second, it explains how filers will get their payment, which is the scenario for the spouse you describe.

They are both explained there.

0 Cheers