Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Payment to a Deceased Taxpayer

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

qbteachmt
Level 15

"A41. You should return the payment as described below.

If the payment was a paper check:

1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
  2. Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
  3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
  4. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check. 

If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit:

1. Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below.
  2. Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number,  or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check.
  3. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP.

For your paper check, here are the IRS mailing addresses to use based on the state:"

Look here:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is made out to the deceased person in care of you. Not to you.

Ex-AllStar
sting22j
Level 1

I just got confirmation that a theory of mine was true. So to everyone who gets social security and have not received their stimulus checks yet. Here is the schedule for when you will get yours by direct deposit:

If you were born on the

1st-10th day of the month:2nd Wednesday

11th-20th day of the month: 3rd Wednesday

21st-31st day of the month: 4th Wednesday

Your checks will be mailed on Wednesday or Friday of the week of your birthday.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

And where did you get such confirmation?

Isn't that the schedule for when regular Social Security benefits are paid these days?

qbteachmt
Level 15

@sting22j 

Honestly, this is nonsense. First, you are in the wrong place on the internet and just created a username in a forum for which you have no idea why everyone else is here and it isn't for your needs at all. It is a Forum for tax preparer professionals using one of the professional tax preparation programs for their own clients' returns, for using the programs and following the tax rules and regulations and updates.

Second, the description offered, trying to be helpful, has mixed into it "your checks will be mailed" and "when you will get yours by direct deposit" which contradict each other.

The only thing you need to do is go to IRS.gov. Not this forum or anyone on a community for how to use Software. Stop asking the general Internet population and go to the Source that is making the rules and regulations and following them.

I did this today.

There are two portals: NonFilers (who should have already signed in with the info needed, by May 12, as the IRS has been telling you to do) to create the banking info and to update that you have qualifying dependents whose amounts should be added to your payment. Now, it's Too Late to do this.

The other portal is the Get My Refund portal. I signed in following my mother's direction, and it told us their checks is scheduled to be mailed and gave the Date. That's right: The website for the agency in Charge, has the Info you seek.

These are not the droids you seek; you are Lost on the Internet.

@IntuitBettyJo 

Please note here is yet another topic that needs to be locked. Thanks.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm not really sure why the post needs to be closed.  Nobody is getting nasty, belligerent, or otherwise unpleasant so what is the harm in leaving it open?  Barn doors should be locked before the wrong critters stroll in not after they are already in the barn.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

Every time one of these topics gets started and gets updated, it has higher search results, encouraging even more people to come here expecting this to be the place they get their Stimulus answers. They are lost on the internet, so why encourage them to all come here?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Well, if they keep coming to this post, it will stop them from creating a new post. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

There are more questions and answers at this link than previously, so it is being updated and is a great resource:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

pg47
Level 3

Thank you so much. Appreciate the help.

Aims
Level 1

I received one too for my Parent 

Next line had a % (symbol) then my name 

I dont undsrstand what the %sign mesns 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

% is the new lazy way to type c/o which stands for In Care Of.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
WF
Level 1

We received a direct deposit in to the estate checking account for my deceased mother.  It also noted in the direct deposit that she is deceased.  I dutifully mailed a check to the IRS, but because the bank branches were closed I could not get an official check.  It has been almost three months and the IRS has not deposited the check and until they do, I cannot close out my mother's estate.  Multiple calls to the IRS revealed that the Memphis office where the check was mailed has been closed because of the pandemic.  At this point, there is no telling how long it may be when / if they actually deposit the check.  In the meantime, I cannot close the estate until that payment clears.  If you find yourself in a similar situation, make sure to get an official check that clears the bank same day.  Best of luck to all of you in the same boat.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@WF    

But you have to admit, that Memphis IRS office has an appropriate address (on Getwell Road). 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think they moved.  Didn't they used to be located on Screw U Blvd?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

@marymoo_59 

You just posted in professional tax preparer's community for using Intuit programs Lacerte and ProSeries.

You need to search the IRS to see your answer:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-eip-eligibility-and-general-...

Questions 11, 12 and this:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-returning-the-economic-impac...

No one here can help you with this.

SBTS
Level 3

FYI - IRS provided the below update on March 9, 2021:

Update: Individuals who died in 2020 or 2021 may not have received Economic Impact Payments. If you file a 2020 return for an individual who died in 2020 or 2021, you should complete the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet in the Instructions for Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR to determine whether the Recovery Rebate Credit is allowable for the decedent. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-a-e...

0 Cheers