Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stimulus checks

cfox
Level 1

Are deceased taxpayers eligible for stimulus check?

ie. I had a spouse die in 2019 and we filed a joint return for 2019.

The wife received a stimulus payment for $2400

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen similar reports in other tax preparer groups....looks like that's how its happening....I saw one that the spouse had died in 2018 (no 2019 return filed yet) and surviving spouse got the full 2400.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Welcome to the Tax Pro Community!

If you're looking for assistance with your personal taxes, please go to TurboTax's community and post a question.

Otherwise, if you're a tax preparer, please post your question on the applicable product board.

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

43 Comments 43
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen similar reports in other tax preparer groups....looks like that's how its happening....I saw one that the spouse had died in 2018 (no 2019 return filed yet) and surviving spouse got the full 2400.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Washington evidently is a lot smarter than me.  I just quite don't know how a dead person is going to stimulate the economy, but someone in Washington evidently does.  Of course, when the dead person walks in to the bank to cash their check, some of the bank tellers might feel stimulated --------------- and leave work for the day.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-   I have same situation for a client.  Based on what I've read the surviving spouse will NOT have to pay this back on 2020 tax return.   Is that how you understand it working?

Also, tell me how to do the " @Just-Lisa-Now-  wrote"  function.

rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

Washington evidently is a lot smarter than me.  I just quite don't know how a dead person is going to stimulate the economy, but someone in Washington evidently does.

Duh.  They are, of course, going to spend it on 2018 energy improvements.

rbynaker
Level 13

@dkh wrote:

@Just-Lisa-Now-   I have same situation for a client.  Based on what I've read the surviving spouse will NOT have to pay this back on 2020 tax return.   Is that how you understand it working?

Also, tell me how to do the " @Just-Lisa-Now-  wrote"  function.

We don't know for sure yet, but that's my understanding as well.

When replying, click on the "three dots" and you'll get an extra tool bar, then click on the giant " to quote.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

From everything Ive read, no repayment of stimulus on the 2020 return, even if you got too much!

dkh
Level 15

@rbynaker  Thank you for help with the quote function and the answer

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This little "thingy" will make what was written appear in your reply

quotes.png

qbteachmt
Level 15

So, are dead spouses a Loan or a Grant? Because I would like a couple of them, please.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Paul H
Level 1

My wife and I are in a similar boat. Her mother passed away last month but got 1,200 into her bank account yesterday. We’re really not sure what to do with it.

RoyalK
Level 1

I have a similar issue. My mom passed last year. I filed her final tax return last month indicating that she is deceased and yesterday I received a direct deposit in the joint account we shared that was POD.

No one is available to answer calls on IRS customer service line and no information is available on line.

I don't want to be penalized by the IRS as I am the sole heir and executor of the estate.

hannah
Level 1

My grandmother passed away Nov 2019 and I show a $1200 stimulus payment. I can't find anywhere to contact the IRS for returning this. Anybody have suggestions?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It's part of her estate now.

0 Cheers
Tntlugo22
Level 1

I am in the exact same boat I don’t know if it is mine to keep the irs isn’t taking calls. Please keep me updated if you hear anything. 

0 Cheers
Tntlugo22
Level 1

I am in the exact situation. Please keep me updated if you hear anything on what to do. 

0 Cheers
Tntlugo22
Level 1

I’m in the same situation. The money went into my account because that was put on her last tax return when I filed for her after she passed. I can’t get anyone at the Irs. 

0 Cheers
Tntlugo22
Level 1

I’m in same situation but it was my mother. 

0 Cheers
AAckley19
Level 1

I am in the same situation with my father. If anyone does have additional information please post. 

0 Cheers
kknowles
Level 1

I'm in the same situation - stimulus for my dad went into the estate checking account. Estate is already closed but I haven't closed the account yet.

0 Cheers
mcarpe
Level 1

My mother passed away in 2019 my father in 2017. Is she eligable for the $1200 stimulus. The IRS does not have her bank info because she always paid.

0 Cheers
Tntlugo22
Level 1

Lisa do I have to return the money to the irs? I can’t get anyone on phone and my tax preparer is not answering me. 

0 Cheers
Jen4
Level 1

My Dad passed away in September 2019. We have a joint savings account and it had 1200 dollars in it this morning mine went to Checking,  I haven't filed his Final return yet because of the shut down . You can not talk to anyone at the IRS and I cant find any answers?? How do I pay it back or is it mine to keep?

0 Cheers
LnC
Level 1

Commenting to follow. My dad passed last year and my mom received 2400. She's not touching it but would also like to know what she should be doing with it. 

0 Cheers
Jen4
Level 1

I'm leaving it there until we find out how and if I'm supposed to have it. 

0 Cheers
Jessie3003
Level 1

We are in the same boat. My deceased sons 1200. Hit my account this morning. That is where he had his 2018 tax return deposited because he did not have an account. I have called IRS, HR Block.  No one seems to have an answer on what to do with this money. I appreciate all these comments as some are helpful. I will be looking on here for an update on what we are suppose to do.

0 Cheers
RFranceen
Level 1

I'm also replying to stay in the loop.  My mom passed away in January of 2020.  My stepdad received $2,400 in his account this morning.  I'm his power of attorney, so I'm just hoping to learn if I should set this extra money aside to be paid back, or if he will be able to keep it.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
Curlydvm
Level 1

I am facing the same dilemma- my mom just passed away a month ago and I just filed her 2019 taxes 2 weeks ago along with a refund form. Her stimulus check was just deposited into a bank account that also has my name on it. The government had initially deposited her last due SS payment and then retracted it, leaving me to file a refund form for beneficiaries. Will see what happens with the stimulus? 

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

So far it sounds like this stimulus thing is running smooth as can be.  I'm glad they have put so much thought and research into the program to make it work so well.  I just hope the COVID 19 testing program isn't put directly into the hands of the federal government, or we will all be dead.  But then again, that isn't so bad because we will evidently still get a check for $1200.

Slava Ukraini!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat.  My father passed when COVID was just becoming a big issue, so he lived into the 2020 pandemic.  I'll keep an eye on this board and leave the money alone until we get further guidance.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

" and my tax preparer is not answering me. "

All of these New people making these comments seem to be Lost on the Internet. This is a forum for users of Professional Tax Preparation programs sold by Intuit.

This is not a Turbo Tax forum and not a Tax Guidance forum. You all seem to be in the wrong place.

The topic you are asking about is not going to be a Hot Topic here for "what do I do now?" Going forward, I recommend keeping an eye on the news and using a better website, such as the TurboTax forum, if that is how you prepared your own taxes. Or, stay in touch with your own Tax Professional, the person you Paid to do your work, as they will want to continue to support you.

rbynaker
Level 13

It's an interesting dichotomy.  Lots of posts here about deceased taxpayers getting direct deposits.  Lots of posts on the Drake forums about folks with bank products NOT getting their money.

LIsing
Level 1

My deceased husband had our tax returns going into his personal checking account, which at this time is still open.  So, that is where my stimulus check is.   The bank knows he is deceased; so, I am afraid if I try to access the money, they will know he is dead and would I be illegally withdrawing this money, even though $1,700 of it is mine?   I don't feel I can legally access his account.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This sounds more like a legal question, than a tax question...are you in a community property state?

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@Curlydvm   I am facing the same dilemma- my mom just passed away a month ago and I just filed her 2019 taxes 2 weeks ago along with a refund form. Her stimulus check was just deposited into a bank account that also has my name on it. The government had initially deposited her last due SS payment and then retracted it, leaving me to file a refund form for beneficiaries. Will see what happens with the stimulus? 

You should be ok.  The Stimulus Check is a 2020 Stimulus check.  Since your mom passed away in 2020, there should be no issue.  What some people are failing to recognize is that it is a 2020 event.  There will be like 3 new lines on the 2020 return.... 1) amount of stimulus payment you were due 2) amount you got, and 3) amount to be credited to your 2020 return (1 minus 2). if you got the correct amount, no issue...if you got more...best I can tell..also no issue..but if you didn't get what you should have...it is added to your 'tax payments made".... and you get credit for it. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
sjrcpa
Level 15

So the bank doesn't know he's dead?

Ex-AllStar
mischief822
Level 1

I also received a payment for my deceased father. Filed his last taxes for 2018 and his refund was deposited to my account. Following just in case there's a resolution.

dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@sjrcpa So the bank doesn't know he's dead?

Better yet... does the bank know if he bought or sold any crypto-currency.....

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
sjrcpa
Level 15

Contact the estate attorney for advice.

Ex-AllStar
Curlydvm
Level 1

@dd4vols Thank you so very much for your reply, time, and consideration. I am going to hold off as long as I can on using the much needed funds (to take care of her last affairs) just incase. 
I do so appreciate you and @Just-Lisa-Now-  for taking the time, however, to answer some of us as I have searched and called like many others on here to no avail, and this was the ONLY place that any such info/thread was addressing the matter. I realize it is very early in the process, but there are many of us facing desperate times or immense loss and truly need to consider use of these funds for one reason or another.

From one Vol to another- Much, much THANKS!

qbteachmt
Level 15

"and this was the ONLY place that any such info/thread was addressing the matter."

No, it's not. Go here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/other-financial-discussions/discussion/02/216

This is the link for Personal tax issues following Covid-19 changes.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@IntuitAustin 

I suppose web searches are how people keep landing here, instead of finding TurboTax. Can you lock this topic, perhaps? Thanks.

0 Cheers
LIsing
Level 1

Thanks, I will get legal assistance. Was just throwing this out there. Thanks.

0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni

Welcome to the Tax Pro Community!

If you're looking for assistance with your personal taxes, please go to TurboTax's community and post a question.

Otherwise, if you're a tax preparer, please post your question on the applicable product board.

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"