Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-filer economic payment mistake

Barbie
Level 1

I am not  required to fill out a tax form, so I use the non-filer tool to fill out my form on April 11 of 2020. After I submitted the form electronically, I noticed the box that says someone could use me as a dependent had a X in it, but I am single  and nobody can use me as a dependent. What am I to do to fix this mistake? And I’m wondering if this is why I have not received my economic payment yet. Please help me to figure out what I need to do. I can’t call IRS to give them any additional information or to let them know it’s incorrect. Thanks 

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

46 Comments 46
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think you may be in the wrong place...this forum is for tax professionals using Intuit's professional tax software, it appears you may be looking for support for DIY help.

Please visit the TurboTax Help site for DIY support.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Barbie This is a site for professional tax preparers, so you are in the wrong place.

Now just because you took all the time to post a nice picture, instead of the goofy icons they offer, I will tell you that you probably need to file an amended tax return to correct the error. https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040x gives the form and the instructions. It is a form that must be filed. Most of the IRS centers are closed and mail is waiting in fully loaded trucks for them to open when we get the all clear.

I believe that little error is going to greatly slow your EIP payment. You may want to find a nice little old guy tax preparer that will cut you a deal on doing this amended return, or give it a try yourself. You seem smart enough to figure out this site, so you can likely do you your own 1040x form.

Best of Luck!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

hint... part 3 is explanation of changes

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Barbie 

You realize you made a username on an internet forum you know nothing about? This is Not how to play safely on the internet.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Barbie
Level 1

I’m so sorry. I am just needing an answer to my problem and had no idea I was on the wrong forum. I so appreciative to you for giving the best answer I’ve heard to date. Thank you for kind words and may God bless you for the kindness.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Barbie 

Freaking out and taking hasty actions is how you got into trouble with this delay in the first place. Don't rely on the internet to guide you, unless you are at the IRS or other official governmental website. They are the ones in charge of all of this.

0 Cheers
Jademayito
Level 1

Hello I did the same too I accidentally check. just wanna ask what did you do now..thank you if u reply

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Jademayito 

You are lost on the internet. No one here can answer your issues.

Please google this phrase:

irs stimulus faq

And then follow the search results to an IRS website and FAQ (frequently asked questions) to get the info you want.

0 Cheers
GinaNJ
Level 1

Same thing happened to my mother in law , we have called with her and they are telling us to just wait until next year , but she doesn’t do taxes so I just feel so bad for her I don’t know how to help her 

GinaNJ
Level 1

@Barbie @did you get your fix ? If so can you please explain what steps you had to follow . Thank you . Any info it’s greatly appreciated 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

IRS HAS ISSUED RULES https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/amended-eip-return

Tax Professionals please note that returns labeled "Amended EIP Return" will be processed as superseding returns if submitted before July 15 or, with a valid extension, before Oct. 15t.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@GinaNJ 

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

4faith
Level 1

Hi George4Tacks

I had to fill out the 1040-X form than mail it to the IRS because on April 17th, 2020 I accidentally check the box that says someone can claim me as a dependent in freefilefillableforms.com. Few weeks later my stimulus check got delayed because of the mistake that I made.

I am just getting SSI $783.00 per month which it is only my income, I am disabled, I live alone, I am single, never married, never have any dependents (children), I never file any taxes which I had not filed any in 2018/ 2019 and no one in my family never required to claim me on their taxes as a dependent. I went to the non filers: freefilefillable forms.com to enter my information with my TD Bank checking account on April 17th 2020 than I check the - someone can claim me as a dependent box by accident.

So I decided to contact the IRS to tell them I accidentally check the box someone can claim me as a dependent in non filers tool and I had not receive a stimulus check. The representative explained to me in order for them to correct the mistake that I made on April 17th, 2020 and for me to receive a stimulus check as quickly as possible this year I will have to fill out the 1040-X form than mail it to the IRS.

I filled out the 1040-X Amended form than I mailed it on June 22nd along with my SSI award letter and my letter to the IRS explaining what happened on April 17th, 2020.

The reason why I had to attach the SSI award letter and my letter to the IRS to 1040-X form as a supportive document is because i contacted Social Security Administration to request the SSA-1099 form to fill out than attach it along with 1040-X form as a supportive document. The Social Security Administration representative told me the forms SSA-1099 are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

I went to Where is my Amended Return site: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/wmar/notice to check the status of my amended return than I see that it is not showing up in my account and i keep on getting the error message saying:

[ Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later. ]

I called the IRS again asking a representative should I fill out the 1040 2019 form than write Amended EIP Return on top of it ? because I wonder why my amended return is still not showing up on my account and I'm thinking it is because there is no Dependent box on the 1040-X Amended form where I can uncheck that I'm not a dependent to get the Stimulus check. The representative told me please don't do anything else !!! because if I fill out the 1040 2019 form than write Amended EIP Return on top of it than it is going to delay my stimulus check which it will going to make it get worse and she can't look it up with my SSN to see why my Amended Return is not showing up because she don't have access to it and I have to just be patient but I still get the same error message when I check the status and It has been 6 weeks since I mailed it on June 22nd.

Do you have any ideas why the reason I keep on getting the error message in Where is my Amended Return and what should I do ? because I am starting to worry right now and it is getting me very confused.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@4faith 

You made a username on a forum for a community of Professional Tax Preparers who use specific software for preparing the returns; this is the place to learn how to use that software.

You should never post info on the internet like you did here. That isn't how to stay safe.

"It has been 6 weeks since I mailed it on June 22nd."

The backlog is Huge. No one on the internet can tell you what is happening behind the scenes at the IRS offices, other than, many of the IRS offices are not yet manned by staff. No one here can answer you or help you or make a difference.

And there is not a Drop Dead date for 2020. If everything about your like means it messed up the determination of if you are qualified for a payment, then your 2020 tax return is when you will claim the funds.

You need to Slow Down. You are doing too many things. There is no such thing as an EIP tax return; there simply is how the IRS will figure out which sequence to use as reference. The tax system is not the same as the EIP process; filing again and again won't push out a check to you. You already sent a 1040 and a 1040X and even the IRS told you this: "The representative told me please don't do anything else !!!"

Stop making this worse. And stop jumping around the internet telling all sorts of people your story, when you have no idea who is here or what they might try to learn about you. You need to protect yourself from Scammers.

LisaH
Level 3

Dear Barbie,

Update: This fix only works if the IRS rejected your initial Non-Filers form.  

As you posted your question months ago, I am hopeful you have already received your $1,200 stimulus check. However, if you or anybody else needs to try this "fix", I was told by the IRS that you can log back into your Non-filer return, using your logIn ID and password and you simply un-click the box that indicates you are dependent and resubmit the form.

Abc770abc770
Level 2

does anyone succeed to fix it on their website, i did the same mistake but I wasn't able to resubmit my details with unchecked box as you mentioned.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting PAID tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual DIY'er taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Slmd
Level 1

Hello dear @Barbie 

I want to know did you solve your problem? If yes, please let me know what did you do? Because I did same mistake.? 
I appreciate if you answer me 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Slmd 

You are lost on the internet; the Help you seek can be found at these other links:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/turbotax-support/help/03/313

https://www.ssa.gov/

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

AND for those of you just tuning in to this broadcast, IRS has these instructions on how to repair your error https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/amended-eip-return

If you have difficulty doing the amended return, please contact a professional broadcaster tax person in your area. 

Stay tune for continuing developments as DIY's continue to mess up with this very convoluted situation. 

Green beans2
Level 1

How do I find out what I've done wrong when I filed my return it keeps telling me .need more I formation. And I went to free fileres and put my direct deposit information in but don't no how to verify it

0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

You should be able to log back into Free Filers and view the form in order to confirm your direct deposit information.  If all looks good, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 and speak to someone who can access your return.  They should be able to tell you what information is missing.

It took me 18 tries before I got through at about 5pm EDT.

Good Luck!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"And I went to free fileres and put my direct deposit information"

But you're not Free Filers; you are "get my payment" people, and you can verify if they have the info at the Get My Payment portal. Not the Filing portal.

Go to the IRS site(s):

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

That's what I did to confirm they have my clients' banking info on file to make the direct deposit.

"Check on the status of your Economic Impact Payment

This application will let you:

• Get your payment status
  • See your payment type
  • Provide your bank account information (in certain limited cases)

Data is updated once per day overnight, so there's no need to check back more than once per day."

This is why asking strangers on the internet for something that has nothing to do with this issue won't be the best use of your Time. We Cannot Help You.

AlmightyRami
Level 1

I've made the same mistake as you have by accidentally checking off the box saying someone can claim me as dependent. I have not received payment either. I tried to file an amended 1040 form by mail back June I believe but I have not heard anything back. I tried to check status on payment and status of amended return but the message shows there is no information available and may take up to 12 weeks or so. Please let me know what you have done or plan to do to correct the mistake so that I can try the same. I'll keep you posted on my situation as well if you like. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, please help. Thank you

abctax55
Level 15

"..I'll keep you posted on my situation as well if you like."  

Hi there,

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

FYI - amended returns under normal times take six months.  These aren't normal times...so don't be holding your breath for a quick resolution.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

*Update - the IRS will be adding a Recovery Rebate Credit to all of their 2020 1040 forms to help people who either didn't receive a Stimulus payment or didn't receive the correct amount.

If you need to call the IRS, I find that after 5pm EDT I can get through.

The amended return was mailed to the IRS on August 24th and, like yours, is not showing received, although the message on the site indicates that it should not take longer than 3 weeks to be added to an individual's record.  My friend is planning to call the IRS this week at 800-829-1040 to try to track it down and I will be happy to keep you updated as to her progress.

As I wrote earlier, calling the IRS at 5pm EDT, seemed to work.  Unfortunately, since it is not my return, I am unable to call on behalf of my friend.

Wishing you the best of luck.  I will keep this message string updated.

0 Cheers
Abc770abc770
Level 2

I called the irs a few weeks ago and i also asked my lawyer, both said the same thing. I have to fill taxes for 2020, and request it within my return. My lawyer said he think i can't make amendment since I don't need to fill taxes for 2019.

qbteachmt
Level 15

@Abc770abc770 

If you are not a tax return filer, there is nothing to Amend.

If you are not a tax return filer, then you use this site:

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

And follow the instructions for Non-Filer. Read the info, the same as I will copy here:

"November 21 Midnight ET Deadline to Request Your Economic Impact Payment

If you did not:

• file a 2019 federal tax return,
  • get an Economic Impact Payment,
  • register for an Economic Impact Payment already.

Then, use Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here by November 21 to register for your payment.

For details, see Topic B: Requesting My Economic Impact Payment."

Please, there is no need to Update this topic. Just use the IRS resources and follow the IRS requirements. This community is for Professional Tax Preparers, not the general public.

LisaH
Level 3

Thank you so much for your reply.  I just spoke with the IRS and they confirmed that on the 2020 1040 returns, there will be a place to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit.  For more information you can visit the IRS website.

0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

I just spoke with the IRS and they confirmed that on the 2020 1040 returns, there will be a place to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit for those who did not receive the Stimulus Payment.  For more information you can visit the IRS website.

0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

The IRS is helping people who did not receive the correct Stimulus Payment or any Stimulus Payment at all by adding a Recovery Rebate Credit to the 2020 1040 forms.  Please check out the IRS website for more detailed information.

0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

It looks like the IRS will be adding a Recovery Rebate Credit on all their 2020 1040 forms for people who didn't receive the correct amount of Stimulus - or any at all.  Unfortunately, I was told that the 1040x will not help this situation, but I am going to keep checking on it anyway.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Those who don't need to file are referred to as Non-Filers. Non-filers won't have a 2020 tax return on which they will "settle up." However, they have another Month; well, 5 More Weeks, to apply Right Now. So, why wait. Apply now. Apply at the IRS link. Please, follow the IRS for more info. Not this community.

0 Cheers
LisaH
Level 3

According to the IRS, even a person who doesn't have to file tax forms (due to low income, etc.) can file a 2020 1040 form in order to claim their "Recovery Rebate Credit."

This thread will continue into 2021 until these people have received their Stimulus payments.

I encourage everyone to go to the IRS website to research or call 800-829-1040 to speak with an IRS employee about the "Recovery Rebate Credit".

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"even a person who doesn't have to file tax forms (due to low income, etc.) can file a 2020 1040 form"

And why would you wait until Spring of 2021 to file for tax year 2020 to get a stimulus check, when you can Enter the info on the IRS website right now, and you have 5 more weeks to do so? How does that make sense to people who are posting all over the internet in places that have nothing to do with their issue, and obviously are in a bit of a panic or dire straits and would like their money ASAP?

Don't you see how you are encouraging them to Not Follow up Timely?

0 Cheers
Abc770abc770
Level 2

@qbteachmt give a short look to the chat before you replying!

It's all about people that did a mistake when they filled the non filers form.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"It's all about people that did a mistake when they filled the non filers form."

You are posting on a Peer Community hosted by Intuit for the users of their Professional Tax Preparer software programs of Lacerte and ProConnect.

This is like stopping into every country and western bar in town and insisting that your Book Club has the right to hold meetings in that bar.  And you made a User Account on the internet on a forum about which you know nothing, so now your info is being tracked, such as email address and IP info. That really is not how to play safely on the internet.

So, no; it's Not about the mistake. It's about resources, which isn't this location. It's all available over at IRS.

0 Cheers
foxy60lady
Level 1

Yes I checked the box that someone can claim me

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Good for you....

( Generic Comment )"
LisaH
Level 3

The IRS is helping people who did not receive the correct Stimulus Payment or any Stimulus Payment at all by adding a Recovery Rebate Credit to the 2020 1040 forms.  I will continue to update this thread as the process unfolds into 2021.  There seems to be a significant number of people who share this problem.

foxy60lady
Level 1

Can I correct my mistake. Non Filer

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Hi there,

As has been pointed out, over & over & over & over &....

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer.

Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The IRS is helping people who did not receive the correct Stimulus Payment or any Stimulus Payment at all by adding a Recovery Rebate Credit to the 2020 1040 forms."

That's right, which is what we keep pointing out; the IRS is the source of the information. Not this community.

"I will continue to update this thread as the process unfolds into 2021."

No. Please do not do this. Please, go to the TurboTax subforum for this, or Reddit, or Facebook, or Linked in, or any other Social site. Not this Professional tax preparers' site where people are simply trying to resolve issues related to their own Customers' needs and using Intuit's professional software to prepare the tax returns.

@abctax55 

I'm copying your comment from the other topic that is like this: wrong people in the wrong place.

"This thread needs to be locked down.

@IntuitBettyJo 

@IntuitAustin 

Could you guys at least pretend this place is for tax pros?????"

abctax55
Level 15

@LisaH 

The IRS is NOT "helping" anyone with this.

The IRS is simply following what they were TOLD TO DO when this was voted on/put in place by Congress.

The reconciliation of the payment on the 2020 tax return has ALWAYS been the plan.

As any/all PROFESSIONAL TAX PREPARERS KNOW.

@IntuitBettyJo 

@Intuit ANYBODY.   You really, really need to lock this up.  It's getting to be ludicrous.

( Generic Comment )"
LisaH
Level 3

Yes, next year when the 2020 1040 tax forms are released.  You can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 to discuss how to correct this mistake.

abctax55
Level 15

SMH... you just don't get it , do you?

( Generic Comment )"