Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the PFL reported on form 1099G qualify for the $10,200 exclusion?

AMoreno08
Level 2

I have read both it qualifies and it does not qualifies.  I have looked on the IRS website and did not find the answer. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

4 Comments 4
abctax55
Level 15

It does for California PFL.   I would guess it would for all states, but can't guarantee it.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

There does seem to be a lot of confusion on this, but the latest instruction from IRS seems to say it is excludable. "If you made contributions to a governmental unemployment compensation program or to a governmental paid family leave program and you aren't itemizing deductions, reduce the amount you report on line 7 by those contributions. If you are itemizing deductions, see the instructions on Form 1099-G." The IRS is saying to reduce the amount of benefits by any payments you had to make to your state for PFL, or unemployment, so it follows that PFL and unemployment are excludable. Here is link:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

AMoreno08
Level 2

thank you, great humor 🙂 

0 Cheers
AMoreno08
Level 2

Thank you