Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus relief checks

lcfpclaire
Level 2

I have a client who doesn't now need to file a tax return so won't automatically get her $1200 check.  The IRS has put up a website so non filers can enter payment information.  However client does not have a computer or internet.  I'm sure there are many others in the same situation.  Does anyone know if we as preparers can fill in this information for our clients?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

2 Comments 2
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
good question....could they give you written permission to complete their information on the IRS portal? I don't know!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I think their "identity verification" routine may be one of those that asks questions only that person could answer.  "Which of these 3 companies financed your car in 2012?" "Did you once live in Altoona?" "Which of these names sound familiar?"  

So I think you would need the client sitting at your desk with you.  Maybe it could be done on the phone, but watch out for the dyslexics trying to read you account numbers.