Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my accounting office in my home is an essential business in the state of Virginia

cpn
Level 3

I have an accounting office in my home and have had for 47 years.  Is this an essential business in regards to the governor of the state of Virginia?  Can my clients come to a drop off box without being fined?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

That sounds like a legal question, for an attorney in Virginia. 

We are just fellow tax preparers and can't answer that for you.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

At the moment anyway, we're considered either "professional services" or "financial services" and are considered essential.  I'll try to copy/paste from another list but the formatting may be wonky:

Here is the new order for your reference: www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/.... Item 1.a. is the relevant section.

...Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of: 
a. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53; 

EO 53 is available here: www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/.... Item 8 is the relevant section.

8. Although business operations offering professional rather than retail services may remain open, they should utilize teleworking as much as possible. Where telework is not feasible, such business must adhere to social distancing recommendations, enhanced sanitizing practices on common surfaces, and apply the relevant workplace guidance from state and federal authorities.

Rick (in VA)

abctax55
Level 15

Thanks Rick... 

I forgot you were a Virginia dude 😉

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

@abctax55 

I'm just paying it forward 'cause somebody posted yesterday on the VA CPA list I'm on and saved me the trouble of having to look it up!  Then our VSCPA government liaison confirmed it and posted the links to the EOs.

I heard there was going to be a press conference yesterday at 2pm with an "important announcement from the Governor" so I made sure I was at the post office at 1pm getting out everything that was ready to go. 🙂  The a-holes in Richmond aren't conforming to the 7/15 deadline for "budgetary reasons" so we're still due 5/1 for filing.  They did extend the payment deadline to 6/1 but if you don't pay by 6/1 then penalties accrue from 5/1.  So basically my tax season got extended from 4/15 all the way to 5/1.  Woohoo.

Trying to deal with clueless clients by mail is excruciating.  Despite having "sign here" stickies (color coded with the first name of the person who's supposed to sign and the arrow pointing to the right line), I've already gotten one back who signed on the ERO line.  I think Cheryl's getting tired of hearing me say AYFKM!

Rick

abctax55
Level 15

Wow... that sucks

At least CA is staying in lock-step with the IRS regarding deadlines.  I guess I better keep an eye on the handful of other states I do to make sure nothing gets missed.  

VA is not one of them tho 😀

( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

The Washington Post list updated today says: “brick-and-mortar retail stores in Virginia, such as bike shops, may stay open as long as they serve fewer than 10 people at a time.” On the other hand, they have closed “theaters, performing arts centers, nightclubs, concert venues, museums and other indoor entertainment centers.” So I guess it depends on what your clients really see in you.

0 Cheers
cpn
Level 3

Thanks to every one.  Your answers were all good answers.  Thanks, again.  Cpn

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and other indoor entertainment centers.” So I guess it depends on what your clients really see in you"

Accountants: Putting the FUN into Essential FUNction.

You're welcome to use that phrase.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers