Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Spouse and stimulus payment

YellowStar
Level 2

During 2019 I was married. I divorced in early 2020. Our returns in 2019 were garnished due to two delinquent debts she acquired before we were ever married.

According to my attorney, if and when I receive a stimulus check I have every right to deduct this garnishment from the her amount she would have received and pay her the difference. She has communicated to me she has filed a “claim” with Intuit and she will receive her portion of the stimulus payment automatically?? Is this possible considering our tax return went to my checking account?

If this is true I will never recover the funds owed to me for her delinquent debts prior to our marriage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. New comments cannot be posted on this discussion anymore. Start a new discussion

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Intuit has nothing to do with the IRS issuing the stimulus checks... so your ex is either mistaken, or flat out lying to you.

The legality of you deducting those garnishments is just that - a legal question.  You need to talk to your attorney - NOT to volunteers, who are professional tax preparers, on a public list-serve.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Intuit has nothing to do with the IRS issuing the stimulus checks... so your ex is either mistaken, or flat out lying to you.

The legality of you deducting those garnishments is just that - a legal question.  You need to talk to your attorney - NOT to volunteers, who are professional tax preparers, on a public list-serve.

( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"She has communicated to me she has filed a “claim” with Intuit and she will receive her portion of the stimulus payment automatically?? 

Shes lying.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
YellowStar
Level 2

Thanks! As noted I have consulted with my attorney. Combined with your response I will sleep well. 

Really appreciate it thank you.

0 Cheers
YellowStar
Level 2

Hence why we are divorced. Lying was her specialty. I will definitively sleep well tonight now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

abctax55
Level 15

YVW... good luck going forward.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"she has filed a “claim” with Intuit"

Which mean you are using TurboTax?

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.