Individual tax returns from TurboTax desktop or TurboTax for Mac can be directly transferred to ProSeries Professional or ProSeries Basic for the same tax year.
However, TurboTax Online files cannot be transferred directly into ProSeries. They must be saved to the desktop first with a .tax20yy extension. For example .tax2018 for a 2018 TurboTax Online file. For steps to save a TurboTax Online data file to the desktop, see this article: How do I save my 2018 TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?
Once the TurboTax Online file is saved to the desktop, see the instructions below for "Transfer from TurboTax 1040 to ProSeries."
You can’t transfer from ProSeries to TurboTax.
Returns prepared in TurboTax for Business Corporate, S Corporate, and Partnership (Forms 1065, 1120, and 1120S) can be transferred to corresponding ProSeries Business returns for the next year. For example, a 2017 TurboTax for Business Corporation can be transferred to a 2018 ProSeries Corporation.
Before you start:
- File names will look a little different after transferring from TurboTax to ProSeries. For example, if the file was "John and Jane Doe Tax Return.tax20yy" it will transfer to ProSeries as "John and Jane Doe Tax Return.yyp" (The difference is that ProSeries adds a character to the file extension to indicate the type of return.) If the TurboTax file name contains symbol, such as " / ", it can interfere with the transfer.
- Remove any password protection on the TurboTax file you're transferring. See How do I password-protect my tax file? for instructions.
- You can’t transfer from ProSeries to TurboTax.
Select the type of TurboTax file you would like to transfer below for the steps to follow.
- Start ProSeries 1040 and insert your client's CD or flash drive into your computer. Or if your client sent their file a different way, just make sure to save it to your computer.
- In HomeBase, go to the File menu, choose Transfer, and then select Transfer Clients.
- On the Select the type of file to transfer drop-down list, select 20yy TurboTax 1040 to 20yy ProSeries 1040. Both 20yy references will be the same year in the drop-down list. For example, 2018 TurboTax 1040 to 2018 ProSeries 1040.
- On the Transfer data files from line, click the Browse button.
- In the Browse for Folder dialog box, navigate to the appropriate drive where the tax return is stored and click OK.
- On the Transfer data files to line, verify that the drive and path are correct. If necessary, make changes.
- Select your client's TurboTax file (example: smith.tax2018) and click Transfer.
- The Transfer Log dialog box will appear on your screen. Verify that the transfer was successful and press Close.
- In HomeBase, click once on the transferred return to highlight it. Select the File menu and press Open Client.
- Once the return is open, use the F9 (Calculate) and F10 (Save) keys to process and save the return. Repeat this step inside of each state return your client has.
Your transferred file will now have the appropriate file extension so that you can use ProSeries to make changes and file the return. For example, a smith.tax2018 TurboTax file will turn into a smith.18i ProSeries file.
- In HomeBase, go to File and choose New Client.
- Choose the same entity type (1065, 1120, or 1120S only) as the TurboTax for Business file.
- From the File menu, select Transfer.
- If a dialog box appears with the message "Transferring into this return will replace all data. Are you sure you want to transfer?" appears, click Yes.
- In the Select Return to Transfer from dialog box, change the Files of type drop-down selection at the bottom to All Files (*.*).
- Navigate to the location on your computer where the TurboTax file is saved.
- Select the desired TurboTax return and click Open.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the transfer is complete, review all data carefully. The information from last year's return will be displayed in green.
- Press F10 on your keyboard to save the return.
Some customers see this error message when transferring TurboTax 2017 Individual 1040 files to ProSeries 2017 when the client file contains information for the state of Virginia. It’s caused by an incompatible character being generated in the TurboTax client file Virginia state data and has been known to affect TurboTax client files created or last updated prior to 02/16/2018.
TurboTax 2017 client files created or updated after this date should no longer produce this error message when they are transferred into ProSeries 2017. Returns created or last updated in TurboTax 2017 prior to this date will need to either be updated, opened and re-saved in TurboTax 2017 and/or have the VA state information removed from the client file prior to transferring into 2017 ProSeries.
For additional information on how to remove a state return in TurboTax, see How do I delete my state return in TurboTax desktop?