IRS' Modernized Electronic Filing program allows submitting multiple amended returns for business entities and Foreign Bank Reporting (Form 114).
ProSeries tax software is also designed to submit as many amended return filings as needed as well.
Please read the steps below to learn how to e-file a previously e-filed and accepted amended return. Note the steps below also apply to states depending on the module (return type) and the states that support electronic filing of amended returns.
- The information below assumes the option to e-file an amended return is already checked on the Federal 1040 or Business Information Worksheet.
- Open the tax return.
- Open the Electronic Filing Information Worksheet.
- Foreign Bank Reporting Form 114: Locate section called "Amended Returns"
- All other return entities: Locate section called "Part IV - Selection of Additional Amended Returns"
- Check the box to "file another federal amended return electronically."
- If you also need to send a new amended State tax return, check the box to "file another state and/or city amended return electronically." When selecting this option also check the box for the state in the "State/City" table below.
- When the original amended is Accepted the checkbox will clear itself to allow the submission of a new amended return.
Important! Second and subsequent amended returns can be transmitted as long as the previous return is rejected or accepted. Subsequent filings simply replace the previous status and provide the ability to resend a new amended tax return.