How to Start a Tax Business and Market it for Optimal Growth
Tax and accounting firms are like any other business that has direct customer interaction — they need to market their customer service as much as they promote their products. If you want the 4-1-1 on how to start a tax business, keep these marketing tips in mind.
- Promote what you excel at. If you are able to quickly process and file your customers' tax returns and do it faster than your competition, then consider running a campaign on the theme of your customers getting their taxes done over the lunch hour. However, if your record is exemplary in being error-free, you'll want to promote this feature to attract customers. When you start a tax preparation business, highlight those specialties immediately.
- Use tax accounting programs to save time and storage space. A cloud-based accounting software program like ProConnect Tax Online is a trusted service providing your new tax business with efficiency to help you draw more customers. Find out more about this tax accounting program and others at https://proconnect.intuit.com/
- Encourage word-of-mouth promotions. Getting your happy customers to promote your business to their friends and family is free. But you might want to add a low-budget incentive to encourage this word-of-mouth promotion. Some ideas include a discount for a family bringing in multiple returns at a time, or offering a credit for processing next year's tax return for a current client if a new customer comes in based on the recommendations made by that client.
- Create an identity customers will remember. When starting a tax business, present a unified front with your website, any print, TV or online ads you place, as well as your business front and all the equipment inside your office. Work with a graphic designer to help make your logo and business identity look unified.
- Become involved in your community. Starting a tax business isn't easy, so join your local chamber of commerce or get involved in a business leaders group to glean ideas about operating a successful small business in your community. Also participate in community efforts like a fundraiser for a local charity or a roadside clean-up program to help get your company name into the public's eye — showing that you are a community-involved company.
- A happy customer usually is a repeat customer, so set your business up catering to good customer service, and then market it. From a small town office to opening a company in a large city, these marketing tips give you the know-how to start a tax preparation business on the right foot.